Friday, April 15, 2011

1984 (in process)

After finishing the Great Gatsby (in just a few days), I began 1984, by George Orwell.  On the third page there is an asterisk (*) that leads one to the 11 page appendix that explains the principals of "Newspeak".  I think I spent two weeks wielding my way through these very dry, unenjoyable, yet ultimately necessary pages.  I have two problems: a) I am a painfully slow reader, b) I have limited time and innumerable distractions, so if I'm not thoroughly engrossed in a book, I just won't pick it up.  Alas, I have fought my way through the monotony of description and found my way back to the actual story, and after a sick day at home with the kiddos I am on page 47 and feeling quite justified in my pride over this fact.

So far--spoiler alert!--it's dark.  Like soul-deep kinda dark.  It makes me want to hear my kids laugh, and watch cartoons, and talk to my mom.

Well, I guess that's all I've got for you now.  See you again in 198 pages of tiny, soul-sucking Times New Roman type.

No comments:

Post a Comment