Saturday, April 30, 2011

1984 by George Orwell (completed)

Yea!  I finished it!  I can’t say it was the most enjoyable read, but it was interesting.  The whole political/socioeconomic structure was intriguing, frightening and maybe more pertinent today than it was when it was written.

Warning to readers - The two most painful parts to get through: the Appendix on "Newspeak" and The Book (the Goldstein political manifesto within the book).

My husband told me that, according to conspiracy theorists, George Orwell (a.k.a. Eric Blair) was writing from experience and actual knowledge he had of the plans for civilization.  I didn’t do any research into that, I was just happy to get through it and move onto something more fun.

Next up: Water For Elephants  (I’m giving myself a water read after 1984.)


No comments:

Post a Comment