Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Trying to find culture (and the brain I used to have)

Let's begin.  I'm Megan.  I'm 30 (at least for another month), married, and a stay-at-home mom of two girls (Tenley, 4 and Seri, 2).

I'm interested in a lot of things, but have realized lately that I live my life in such a way as to maximize the time I get to sit down, either reading or watching television.  This is not something I'm proud of of which I'm proud (especially since I read fluff and watch nothing of much substance).

I have also had flashes of feeling that my life has become very small: I get up, go to the gym, go home, maybe bring Ten to dance or swimming, get the girls down, go to bed, wake up and repeat.  My life is not much more complicated than the instructions on a shampoo bottle.

I am not whining.  I love my life.  I love my girls, and my husband.  I love being a mom and wife.  It's only myself whom I'm kind of appathetic towards.  I think a loss of self is something that a lot of moms go through, and more than that, I believe it is a situation of my own making.  (I am lazy by nature, so here's to the good fight!)  I am trying to change it!

So, here is the beginning of my plan, and the purpose for this blog: Books & Movies.

Movies (or Films, depending on your level of pretension)
I am going to work my way through the AFI Top 100 Films list (both the 1998 original, and the 10th anniversary list).  I may add a few of my own picks as well. 
AFI Top 100 Films

Books
I plan to read my way down a list of my own compilation.  I drew from a number of lists, compiled them, then sorted the list by the number of lists each book made it on (whew).  This was a less than perfectly scientific process: some of the lists I pulled from were just novels, some included non-fiction, some had date restrictions, some didn't, but I feel I ended up with a pretty comprehensive place to start.  I will link the lists from which I pulled, and if I figure out how to upload a spreadsheet, I'll put my own list up.
TIME's All Time 100 Novels
The Best 100 Lists
Modern Library - Board and Readers picks for Best 100 Novels
Modern Library - Radcliffe College's Rival List
Rory's Book Club List (Rory is a fictional character from the Gilmore Girls television series.)
Amazon's Must Read List
Just Some Guy's Opinion - Ten Classics

So, that about does it for now I guess.

2 comments:

  1. You are the best wife a guy could ever ask for. I think this is a great idea, and I am completely supportive as long as I only have to participate in the "color" movie watching portion :-}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still anxiously awaiting your next posting, and I can't wait to get home to see you.

    ReplyDelete